Search This Blog

Tuesday 7 February 2012

Give your dog a new lease on life with glucosamine


If your dog is suffering from stiff joints, glucosamine may help put a spring back in his step.



After my children left home, friends encouraged me to get a dog for company. We used to have a golden retriever when the kids were young, but after he died we decided not to get another pet. I missed having a dog around the house, so decided to act on my friends’ suggestion and got another four-legged friend.


I have a real soft spot for golden retrievers and couldn’t resist getting another, particularly when I saw two-year-old Honey at an RSPCA rescue centre. She was full of energy and had a lovely nature – perfect to keep me company on daily walks.


Honey is eight years old now and earlier this year I noticed a real change in her. She no longer seemed to have endless energy and was only comfortable on short walks. If we went on longer walks she would become quite stiff and sore the next day.


Our previous retriever suffered similar symptoms so I decided to see if there was anything I could do to help. I asked my local vet, who recommended glucosamine for dogs. Like in humans, glucosamine occurs naturally in dogs and helps keep their joints flexible. It also helps cartilage repair.


But what I hadn’t realised was that as a dog gets older, the amount of glucosamine their bodies produce decreases, which can cause problems like stiff joints, arthritis and lack of mobility – exactly the symptoms that Honey was suffering from. So after doing a bit of research I started giving Honey Flexi-Joint tablets from VetVits. It has four key ingredients: glucosamine, which helps joints; chondroitin, which aids cartilage repair; vitamin E, a good antioxidant, and vitamin C.


Each day, I would add the recommended dose of Flexi-Joints to Honey’s food and within a few months I noticed a difference. She was moving more easily, we were able to go on longer walks without her suffering the next day, and she had more energy.


I was amazed at the change. Other people have also commented how good she looks for her age. I say she’s a bit like me – ageing gracefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment